Our approach to food production and food service is not value neutral. Through the creation of food, from raw ingredients to finished products, and through the giving or serving of food, we express a myriad of mores, social and cultural norms, anxieties, and personal neurosis. Though these webs of interrelated processes may be socially and personally challenging, their examination fosters community awareness and the opportunity to live, produce and consume with greater care and understanding, both socially and personally.

21 March 2010

A little window into my life....

I am up at 6 am on Sunday, having breakfast and getting ready to go to work.  I wash a pear.  I need to dry that pear.  I look for paper towels..in the oven...In the oven??!! Yes, in the oven.

My husband was never much of a 'bachelor'.  He kept his apartment clean.  He did his laundry and dishes.  He did not own oversized leather furniture.  Even his large TV is of modest proportion.  But he did and still does keep paper towels and toilet paper in the oven.  I thought this was unique to him, until my sister confessed that her boo also keeps paper goods in the oven...**

Um...guys, what is up with this?  It is just plain weird....

** Correction:  I misremembered the facts as my sister presented them.  It was not her boo who keeps paper goods in the oven but her boo's friend who keeps his home brewing materials in the dishwasher.  Sorry for the misrepresentation Mr. P.

2 comments:

Edwin said...

As the husband mentioned in this entry, I guess I should do a little explaining.

Growing up my family didn't use the oven to cook very much. The exceptions were special occasions or holidays like Christmas when my mother would spark the oven and stuff in a pernil (pork shoulder)or on my birthday when she would make my favorite dish, lasagna. Other than that the oven was storage.

Another other reason I use the oven as storage is that my family lived in a small railroad apartment in Williamsburg, Brooklyn that didn't have much in the way of cabinets. So growing up we put things where we could. That meant putting things like the paper towels in the oven.

Unfortunately, this is a trend that I've continued as and adult, even though Mikha uses the oven frequently to make us tasty dishes.
I know this drives her crazy but some habits are hard to break.

Hopefully someday, I will grow out of the need to put things in the dishwasher other than dishes, or items in the oven that weren't meant for cooking. Maybe it will happen the day when Mikha and I move to a larger space (we currently live in the apt. I grew up in.)

Until then, the oven will be for more than just cooking.

Sorry baby.

-E

Emily and Dan's Big Adventure said...

This sounds like a fire hazard :). I won't tell.