Our approach to food production and food service is not value neutral. Through the creation of food, from raw ingredients to finished products, and through the giving or serving of food, we express a myriad of mores, social and cultural norms, anxieties, and personal neurosis. Though these webs of interrelated processes may be socially and personally challenging, their examination fosters community awareness and the opportunity to live, produce and consume with greater care and understanding, both socially and personally.

22 June 2010

Dancing Pigs and Flying Cockroaches

Last night we had amazing ribs at The BBQ Shop in Memphis, TN.  I do not pretend to be a bbq connoisseur but I know good ribs when I eat them and these were great!  Tender, moist, and perfectly seasoned, served with baked beans (seasoned with brown sugar, paprika and chili powder), coleslaw (not at all mayonnaise-ish and with dill pickles) and Texas Toast (husband liked but I wanted to leave room for RIBS).  We got them half dry, half wet.  I usually like dry (because you can really taste the rub and I usually find bbq sauce too sweet) but in this case the bbq sauce was so perfect, I wanted to put it on everything.  It started out sweet and then...kick...and then a smooth finish but not cloyingly sweet.  Perfect.  Topped off with Fat Tire from the tap, I was in heaven.

Today was a dismal waffle from Waffle House (second only to my husband's BLT -- yuck!) and then a Wendy's and QuikTrip combo meal in our Motel 6 room.  Not really loving Oaklahoma.

Do you have any BBQ loves?  SHARE!!!

1 comment:

Mikha Diaz said...

check out their goods and recipes: dancingpigs.com