Our approach to food production and food service is not value neutral. Through the creation of food, from raw ingredients to finished products, and through the giving or serving of food, we express a myriad of mores, social and cultural norms, anxieties, and personal neurosis. Though these webs of interrelated processes may be socially and personally challenging, their examination fosters community awareness and the opportunity to live, produce and consume with greater care and understanding, both socially and personally.

06 June 2010

Ok...Let's Try for Kids...

It has been a while.  I have been out in the world, eating, drinking, and trying to finish up a job, a course and initiate a move.  I have finished up the job.  I am almost done with the course.  And all boxes have been shipped for the impending cross-country move.  I feel almost no anxiety about the move, but my heart does ache for the people who remain on this coast.  This is not the first time I wish the middle of the country was a bit smaller.

I sat down to write about a recent visit Edwin and I took to Ommegang Brewery.  It was a fascinating education and a really fun tasting.  I am now inspired to learn about brewing and beer and food pairing on whole new level.

But if I were to be honest, and as my beautiful friend Amelia has just reminded me, honesty, at root, is another way of saying 'trusting my intuition, my sacred voice' what is on my mind right now is not Belgian style ales, their production process or the delish food pairings that might accompany them.  What is on my mind is my business plan and upcoming presentation.  Taking the latter first, I am annoyed by the presentation because it seems to be a futile exercise, and when it comes to speaking to large groups, I do not need the practice that badly.  The futility lies in the fact that I may not be able to receive my diploma because we are moving (Long Story: I was told I could, now I am being told I cannot. Moral: I don't really care either way).

Moving on to the former, my mind is occupied by the plan because it is becoming real.  And this means, above and beyond all else, a commitment of time.  It means saying 'I choose to locate myself and remain in this place for many years' -- certainly at minimum five years.  It means letting go of my deepest safety net - the 'I could just leave' (even though I rarely do).  Yep, totally scared.

Little plug:  If you want to see this totally terrifying process unfold, you can follow the development of my bar (Two Sisters Bar and Books) on Twitter.

2 comments:

Kathleen Ferguson said...

Hi Love,
I cannot wait to hear about what you have in the works! I don't use Twitter and didn't find your project when I searched their site or google... can you help me out w/ a link to where I can learn more?

Can't wait to see you in the Bay!!!
<3 kath

Mikha Diaz said...

I don't have a website yet, but my Twitter profile is http://twitter.com/2sistersbar.

Do you have any neighborhoods in the Bay Area that you are totally in love with? Do share!!!!

xo