Our approach to food production and food service is not value neutral. Through the creation of food, from raw ingredients to finished products, and through the giving or serving of food, we express a myriad of mores, social and cultural norms, anxieties, and personal neurosis. Though these webs of interrelated processes may be socially and personally challenging, their examination fosters community awareness and the opportunity to live, produce and consume with greater care and understanding, both socially and personally.

02 December 2010

Methyl Iodine

Not sure what to say about this. (Not because I have nothing to say- that does not happen-but because I am not sure how to organize my thoughts.)

I am worried for the farming communities exposed to toxins of all kinds and I want us, as a state and a country, to be moving away from the use of toxins (and genetically modified products) in our food production process.

I do not like Tokyo-based chemical brands potentially infecting migrant California workers because I do not see any hope in that equation for reparations or justice.

With our limited state budget, I think that the reliance on oversight as the primary means by which to control the unhealthy spread of this toxin is naive at best and dishonest at worst.

And I am concerned about the health ramifications of eating foods produced in soils treated by this toxin.  And because it can become airborne, I do not see a surefire method for completely avoiding the ingestion of it.

Bad job, California.  Bad job.

No comments: